Failure trying to sync

If you’ve had errors in your event logs like these:

failure trying to synch site [SITE GUID} for ContentDB [contentdb GUID] WebApp [web app GUID]. Exception message was Access is denied. (Exception from HRESULT: 0×80070005 (E_ACCESSDENIED

event id 5533

Here are the steps I took to correct these errors:

1. I used the SharePoint manager tool to identify the web applications and sites referred to by their GUID in the event log errors.

2. I opened a command prompt and typed stsadm- o preparetomove -Site http://whatevertheguiltysiteis -OldContentDb

3. After this completed successfully, I ran stsadm -o sync -deleteolddatabases 0 (note: Depending on how long you’ve been seeing these errors, you may be able to use a switch greater than zero. If it’s been 2 days since it synched last, you can use 2. You can tell this by typing stsadm -o sync -listolddatabases and look for the offending content db guid.

In my case, there were several “my site” sites that were not syncing with the profile database. After performing these steps, I rechecked the event log at the top of the hour to see if the errors had reoccurred.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>